Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transition time is coming

5 posters

Go down

How should the transition be handled?

Transition time is coming Vote_lcap64%Transition time is coming Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 7 ]
Transition time is coming Vote_lcap0%Transition time is coming Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Transition time is coming Vote_lcap27%Transition time is coming Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Transition time is coming Vote_lcap9%Transition time is coming Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Transition time is coming Vote_lcap0%Transition time is coming Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Transition time is coming Empty Transition time is coming

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-11, 11:21

Hi everyone -

I've been working on trying to find a good replacement for this forum setup. This forum is powered through Forumotion. At the beginning it was good because I didn't know what I was doing, but it's very limiting at this point and I needed to find something a little more versatile.

I have purchased some hosting space on GoDaddy.com and I'm in the process of setting up a new forum there. I'm using Simple Machines software and it seems to be very versatile.

It will take me some time to set up the site. I need to figure out if there's a way to transfer the posts from this site to the new site. Unfortunately, it's not going to be simple.

I'm going to post a poll and ask for feedback regarding the transition. Please feel free to participate in the poll and add your further input via this post.

Thanks to everyone for their support, both financial and emotional. Smile

Melanie

EDIT: Just to be clear, the forum is basically staying exactly the same. It will still be StrictlyHDR.com! I'm only looking to change the software that runs the site.

Last edited by SpiffyPix on 2009-03-11, 16:42; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added important edit info)
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Transition time is coming Empty Re: Transition time is coming

Post by HDArtist 2009-03-11, 12:30

I would't change anything unless there's a real need to do so. I can't see the need. Im my opinion this forum works fine. A new forum setup means all the users will have to get used to new procedures again.
HDArtist
HDArtist

Male Number of posts : 60
Camera Equipment : Canon: 40D, EF-S 10-22 1:3.5-4.5 IS USM, 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 70-200 L 1:2.8 USM
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-11, 13:12

I want to make it as user-friendly as possible, but with this current operating system (forumotion), there is zero room for growth. I would rather get the move out of the way now than in a year from now when I would hope we would have more members/posts.
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HDArtist 2009-03-11, 16:17

Maybe the possibilities of this forum are limiting to you, as moderator. I can't judge that. But none of us users have complained about any limitations. Also, very recently you've asked money for this forum, not another one, and you started a design competition for this forum as well. To change to another forum under these circumstances, and only a few weeks after the forum took off, is a bit strange. At least, that's my opinion.
HDArtist
HDArtist

Camera Equipment : Canon: 40D, EF-S 10-22 1:3.5-4.5 IS USM, 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 70-200 L 1:2.8 USM

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-11, 16:34

I understand your concerns, Ron, but I think you're missing the point of moving the forum.

The website address will be exactly the same: http://www.strictlyHDR.com

The website will be generally the same in appearance.

Any changes that will be made will be made behind the scenes. You really won't notice a difference. If anything, it will be a little more streamlined. I'm trying to get this forum to be able to work well for the long term. The current software is very limiting, as far as programming goes for me, as an Admin. I'm not trying to make this difficult for anyone; I'm trying to make it better.

When I asked for donations, I was asking for donations to support strictlyHDR.com. That does not change. I'm only looking to change the software used to run the forum. The banner contest is the same. The site will be the same, in principle. I just wanted to transfer it to another forum software.

I let the forum know that I was making these changes but honestly, maybe I'm sharing too much information.
I probably could have made the changes and you as members wouldn't have really noticed.

No

And again, I'm changing it after a few weeks in because I'd rather make software changes now than later. Again, you shouldn't really notice any big differences. It will still be StrictlyHDR. It will just be easier for me to manage. I admit that I bit off more than I could chew, originally. But now that I've learned more, I want to be able to do more with StrictlyHDR. The only way for me to do more is to move the forum from one software program to another.

Thanks for your feedback, Ron.

Mel
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HDArtist 2009-03-12, 01:52

If it's only behind-the-scenes changes that will make your life easyer and will hardly be noticeable by us, then of course you should just do it.
HDArtist
HDArtist

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-12, 20:45

Thanks, Ron. Smile

Please excuse this temporary 'theme', as I had to do a temp software conversion.

Melanie
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Weathernut 2009-03-13, 08:50

you should be able to take your database from this forum and use it for your smf forum. this way no one would have to lose anything! no extra or re registration, no loss of posts... etc
Weathernut
Weathernut

Male Number of posts : 15
Camera Equipment : Nikon D80
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.weathernut.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Weathernut 2009-03-13, 08:59

also, if you are moving to smf, you will for sure want to utilize this site:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
the forums there have a wealth of knowledge and users willing to assist. for your project here, I am sure they could assist with any questions you may have
Weathernut
Weathernut

Back to top Go down

Post by Rod 2009-03-13, 11:51

Melanie. First of all, a big "thank you" for all you have done so far with this site. It must have taken both personal time and no doubt sacrifice, to set up and maintain. Do whatever is necessary for it's succesful continuance.
For what it's worth, you have my support and a vote of confidence.
Kind regards, Rod.
Rod

Job/hobbies : Postal worker. Too many hobbies! Photography's getting serious.
Camera Equipment : Canon eos 450D. 10-20. 17-55. 100-400. 90 macro
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-13, 12:22

Thanks so much, Chris, Rod, Ray (Aero) and everyone for your support. Chris, I was going to email you for your help w/SMF! Smile

I have found a crawler converter for forumotion to SMF and I'm trying to get the other site set up the way I want it, that way I can transfer it over.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Mel
dog
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Weathernut 2009-03-13, 12:59

SpiffyPix wrote:Thanks so much, Chris, Rod, Ray (Aero) and everyone for your support. Chris, I was going to email you for your help w/SMF! Smile

I have found a crawler converter for forumotion to SMF and I'm trying to get the other site set up the way I want it, that way I can transfer it over.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Mel
dog

Indeed get your smf forum set up with EVERYTHING you want on it. All your modifications in place and running and let the last thing you do is do your crawler converter. I have never had to do that, but good luck!!
Weathernut
Weathernut

Back to top Go down

Post by arkitekt 2009-03-14, 03:52

Melanie

I can see why you are changing. Forumotion is limiting in what you can do, I should know, as I'm an admin on another board. We started ours to break away from the forum that Fuji cameras run for their users in the UK. There were so many trolls who were intent on screwing it up and Fuji were doing nothing about it. We wanted to keep it free and simple but of course you can't have a gallery without PAYING every month for it, you can't stop adverts unless you PAY and you can't have your own domain unless you PAY.

I think you are right in what you are doing and I'm looking at doing something similar for us, especially as our membership is starting to grow as more and more dissatisfied users come over from Fuji

Mike
arkitekt
arkitekt

Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down