Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what is HDR?

4 posters

Go down

So what is HDR? Empty So what is HDR?

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-01-21, 14:03

HDRI, or High Dynamic Range Imaging, is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows.

What does that all mean? When you take a normal photograph, your camera can't capture all of the light information that the human eye is able to see. The camera does its best to try and properly expose the photo, but that usually leaves blown highlights (overexposed areas) and clipping (shadowed areas).

Let's say you take a photo of your child outside. The child is properly exposed, but the sky is completely over-exposed. And any areas that are in shadows are underexposed. There's no detail in the sky or in the shadows.

This is where HDR comes in.

When creating an HDR image, you take multiple bracketed exposures (usually three or more) and combine them together using some third-party software. Bracketed means that you're taking three photos in quick succession: one normally exposed, one over-exposed and one under-exposed. When you combine the three differently exposed photos together (usually using Photomatix), you now have detail in the highlights and shadows. It makes for a much more visually interesting photograph.

HDR images run the gamut, from subtle to the surreal. There are people that don't like the 'cartoony' look that some heavily-processed HDRs produce. But the thing to remember is that HDRI is a technique and you can use that technique however you see fit. Not everyone is going to like every version of HDR, but art is art. And all versions of HDR are welcome here!
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

So what is HDR? Empty Re: So what is HDR?

Post by Lake Mary 2009-01-21, 21:12

The Fuji S3/S5 has the highest dynamic range I believe. In a Nikon body, it seems to be OK 1+/1- in compensation. Works fine for me.
Lake Mary

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by garyros 2009-02-11, 11:49

However, understand that even though the cameras have a high dynamic range, they do not capture all of the tones. Their dynamic range is based upon exposure only and not tonal mapping.
garyros
garyros

Male Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : Photography, James Bond
Camera Equipment : Nikon D700, Canon Pixma Pro 9500
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by muralist0221 2009-02-28, 16:50

Spiffy, I have printed out your instructions for HDR. Have Adobe Bridge, CS-3 and PhotoMatrix. Your technique involves the "merge to HDR" section of CS-3, then PhotoMatrix Tone Mapping. Have done your method successfully. Have also used the traditional 3 or more RAW images directly into PhotoMatrix. The results are quite different. Have any thoughts on why you selected the first technique over the direct PhotoMatrix recommendations?
muralist0221
muralist0221

Male Number of posts : 11
Job/hobbies : Company Portrait Photographer
Camera Equipment : Sony DSLR A-100
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-02-28, 19:27

Hi muralist -

Honestly, the only reason why I do the Bridge/Photoshop merge is because that's how I learned it. I was told early on that Photoshop merges photos better than photomatix, as it lines the photos up in a more concise manner. I wish I had a better reason than that!

Please, share your two different results with us when you are able!

Mel
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum