Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canon G10 User Here

3 posters

Go down

Canon G10 User Here Empty Canon G10 User Here

Post by amyandmark3 2009-01-25, 14:05

Hi, I'm somewhat a veteran of the Canon DSLR's having used the XTi, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, 1D, 1Ds2, and 1D3 as well as an uncountable number of lenses ranging from the nifty 50 to the 100-400L. I have recently decided to give the G10 a run and cashed out all my more expensive equipment (paid off a couple of credit cards at the same time!). The main reason I made the switch was because I don't shoot sports or birds that often and can live without shooting those subject for now, and I've seen some great HDR's taken with the G10, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I can be happy with a $500 setup instead of a $5,000 setup. Very Happy

Anyways, all of the photos I've posted thus far (you can see them in my gallery by clicking on the link in my signature) have been taken with a DSLR, but I look forward to getting some decent weather some time in the future and testing out the G10's HDR capabilities! Gotta admit, I really LOVED that 1Ds2 though... I love you
amyandmark3
amyandmark3

Male Number of posts : 60
Camera Equipment : D90
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Back to top Go down

Canon G10 User Here Empty Re: Canon G10 User Here

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-01-29, 12:48

amyandmark3 wrote:Hi, I'm somewhat a veteran of the Canon DSLR's having used the XTi, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, 1D, 1Ds2, and 1D3 as well as an uncountable number of lenses ranging from the nifty 50 to the 100-400L..... Gotta admit, I really LOVED that 1Ds2 though... I love you

Is anyone else as jealous as I am?! Yikes. Good luck w/your new gear!

Melanie affraid
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amyandmark3 2009-01-30, 16:29

Thanks Mel. And, by the way, we can cancel my experiment with the G10... I just got too spoiled with DSLR's and am returning the G10 to B&H. I picked up a D90 today to give Nikon a chance as I've been all Canon in the past... Smile
amyandmark3
amyandmark3

Back to top Go down

Post by 10megapixel 2009-02-11, 17:29

amyandmark3 wrote:Thanks Mel. And, by the way, we can cancel my experiment with the G10... I just got too spoiled with DSLR's and am returning the G10 to B&H. I picked up a D90 today to give Nikon a chance as I've been all Canon in the past... Smile

I hear ya Andy... I love the G10, but a friend has been letting me use his 40D on the weekends and I'm just about ready to pick one up for myself. Circuit city in Columbus has a few left @ 900 bucks with the lens kit so I think it's probably gonna happen Cool (keepin' the G10 though)

One more thing Andy, do any of the Canon or Nikon DSLR's offer the live view mode that's on all the time, and shows you a constant live preview like the G10 does? Where yo don't have to use the viewfinder at all. I know the 40d has a Live-view but once you hit the button to focus then it's gone and you have to use the viewfinder from then on.
10megapixel
10megapixel

Male Number of posts : 29
Camera Equipment : Canon G10
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kewl_pics/

Back to top Go down

Post by amyandmark3 2009-02-11, 20:03

Nothing that can autofocus quickly in LiveView. My Nikon D90 has the ability to use full time LiveView, but the AF takes about 1-2 seconds to focus, so it's not very practical except in situations where you can wait for AF or do manual focus yourself. In the situations where we'd be shooting HDR, the D90's LiveView is better than Canon's in my opinion. I had a 40D for quite a while and it's a very nice/capable camera that is good in all situations. I like the D90 a little better, but it also costs a bit more $$$. Just FYI, a lightly used 40D body will sell for something like $600 shipped or less on FM or POTN. I'm not sure what kit lens comes with them currently, but if that price includes a 28-135 IS, it's a pretty good deal for a new one. If you do get a 40D, pick up a used 50 1.8 for about $70 on the forums and you will be amazed at what you can do with the DOF... let me know if you have any more questions, I'm pretty familiar with just about every Canon body and lens that costs under $3000... Very Happy
amyandmark3
amyandmark3

Back to top Go down

Post by 10megapixel 2009-02-11, 22:22

Ok, thanks Mark. Let me know what you think of the Nikon compared to the Canon's you have owned.
10megapixel
10megapixel

Male Number of posts : 29
Camera Equipment : Canon G10
Registration date : 2009-01-25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kewl_pics/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down