Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Printing your HDR images

2 posters

Go down

Printing your HDR images Empty Printing your HDR images

Post by garyros 2009-03-26, 11:34

Good day all!

I have finally finished my testing on printing. I have a Canon Pixma Pro9500 and can use an Epson 3800, 2880 and HP B9180 at work. I have tried printing on Moab, Canon, Epson, and Hahnemuele paper. Although all of the said papers are wonderful, the issue is capturing the essence of HDR on the paper surfaces. We all know that we are working with a dynamic range that is far greater than most, if not all output devices including the printers and monitors. With that said, I have found that most of the fine art papers I've used do not reproduce the images well. They are muted, if not off color. On both my Canon and the Epson 3800 the use of either glossy or semi-gloss papers work the best. Now I'm not a glossy fan, but the clarity and vibrance was there. I used both Canon and Epson semi-gloss and the images were fantastic. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks. Gary
garyros
garyros

Male Number of posts : 10
Job/hobbies : Photography, James Bond
Camera Equipment : Nikon D700, Canon Pixma Pro 9500
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Printing your HDR images Empty Re: Printing your HDR images

Post by DAVE RHUBERG 2009-03-30, 14:49

I find I can work with those types of paper. One of my favorite are the double sided mattes.
You need to reduce the DR of your output definitely, but you get a more water color, delicate picture. Think of those papers as a tool for the purpose, say of making a print with sky and shadow detail, but low midrange contrast and a smooth gradient between.
Gloss is definitely your highest DR paper, but you might find a lot of experimental room in the textured papers.
DAVE RHUBERG
DAVE RHUBERG

Male Number of posts : 23
Job/hobbies : Reading, photography, astronomy, travel
Camera Equipment : Nikon D70, D70s, 80-200, 12-24, 50mm, Modbook computer
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down